Monday, February 27, 2012

Workin like a dog

So I finally have a lot going on at my site which has been good and bad…

I’m doing a reusable sanitary pad project for international women’s day on March 8th. I got a grant to pay for everything through Peace Corps Gender and Development Committee (which I’m on by the way). Anyway, so my whole community has been behind this idea for awhile. We are going to have health booths, business lessons and HIV testing as well as keynote speakers. Every woman that attends is going to receive a free reusable sanitary pad. This is important because women usually miss school or work because they don’t have the money to buy pads or tampons in the shops. Reusable sanitary pads make it possible to have an affordable product and still be functional. Most women have seemed soooo excited about the project…But…

My supervisor has been…let’s just say unsupportive. Not only did he tell me that women won’t use the pads, he told me that they will cause diseases in women…BS! Here I am sewing 200 reusable pads when he comes in and tells me how he thought they were going to be made out of brand new material. The pads are made out of old sheets, towels and buttons…all things real village women CAN afford! He has no idea how hard it is to be a woman in the village on your period and try to work on the farm! Anyway, we have not been getting along because of this issue. I have assured him that you cannot get diseases from the product as long as you wash it properly. It’s difficult arguing with a Kenyan. He really knows nothing about health in the first place so I keep insisting that I am properly trained on this issue. So I had Peace Corps call him and I guess they convinced him into it, but who knows. I just hope he’s not spreading lies about the pads because I really believe in them and I think the women do too. I guess that’s all that really matters.

Anyway other than that, I went to visit my friend Eizzy again on her island, Rusinga. It was so nice to take a break after all this drama. Sangala is getting too big to travel with these days so I’m majorly missing him when we are not together, but he’s a sweetheart when I come back. By the way, I could use any de-fleaer when anyone decides to send a package! Those little sh*ts are everywhere lately!

Miss and love you all!

Andrea

1 comment:

  1. I found the image of you sewing pads quite funny, lol. I used a rubber cup for almost 10 yrs. I could never get it to be leak proof, but it did save a lot on paper products.
    Have you heard of Miracle Mineral Solution? It's been used quite a lot in Africa for malaria, dengue, & even AIDS.
    Talked to Guyot yesterday, he's still on the hill. We're in St. Maarten, going to St. Thomas next week.

    ReplyDelete