Monday, March 12, 2012

Basking in the Little Things


I'm proud to announce that my International Women's Day was such a successful event!!! In the end, the community really came together and made the event their own. Over 200 women that attended took home valuable information about HIV, Water Sanitation, Financial Banking, Starting a Business, the Importance of Education, Family Planning and how to make reusable sanitary pads! We gave out over 500 condoms, 100 reusable sanitary pads, 50 fertility awareness necklaces, 75 business plan worksheets and tested 50 people for HIV! We also had an impromptu fundraiser for the maternity ward I'm trying to build and we raised over 10,000ksh (about $100 US) which is a great start!


I'm really proud of my community and feel empowered to keep up all the hard work I've been putting in. I'm really trying to find glory in the small things I accomplish here to keep me going. The bad days here are very very low, but the good days make it all worth it.

After my event, my fellow PCVs and I went to Kisii to celebrate and I got to eat a bacon cheese burger!

1 comment:

  1. Hi Andrea!
    My name's Rosie Borchert and I work for A.N.D Productions web development team. Currently we're working to gather correspondents from every continent who have amazing stories of volunteer work, trials and tribulations, and a strong voice. In theory we're trying to create a social networking page that crosses culturals and spreads news of the world. I'd love to speak with you further if you think this sounds interesting!
    Best,
    Rosie Borchert
    Rborchert@nashkotyol.ru

    ReplyDelete