Thursday, June 9, 2011

Yo guys! I'm in Kenya!!!!

6/8/11

I have arrived in Kenya! It was a long long long trip, but I’m finally here...pretty much in tact (although I did cut my foot at the airport). My computer is not agreeing with me already and the converter I hoped would work that I used in South Africa does not work here in Kenya so I’m pretty much out of commission after the 84% of battery on my computer runs out. I’ll be out of an alarm clock too since I can’t charge my iphone, but oh well it’s all in the challenge of being a PC volunteer.

Back in Philly we learned PC core values and other stuff like that. I think there’s gonna be a lot of skit work so after all the theater experience I’ve had, I’m very excited for that. I was able to have a famous Philly cheese steak at Genos and we went out to the bars both nights. My body is hating me currently.

So far I really like everyone! It’s nice to be around people who have the same ambitions as me and are humanitarians. We all share a love of helping people and I think it will go far in this country. There were 56 of us to start, but one has already unfortunately dropped out due to health issues. I was really sad because he was sitting with me on the flight to Brussels, but when we got there he had a seizure and couldn’t go on. I’m pretty sure they won’t let him make it to Kenya now. But 55 of us made it and are waking up bright and early to start training.

6/9/11

I have the internet! And I was able to barrow a converter from someone so my computer is up and running! Today we had our first day of training in the compound in Nairobi. I got four shots in the arm so it’s super sore, but I was proud of myself because I took ‘em like a man...well you know what I mean, I was brave. We learned about safety and security and did skits on the PC 10 commandments. My skit was about a girl getting pregnant because she didn’t use protection and she got sent home. Guess who was the pregnant girl?! Haha! Told you my acting skills would come into handy!

Then we had our first language class which actually went better than I was expecting. We learned simple kiSwahili greetings and I wasn’t as bad as I was expecting. The language sounds like it reads too that helps. After, a few of us played soccer out in the yard and it felt great to get some exercise.

I just got off skype with Sean and gchatted a little with Morgan and my cousin Rose so it was nice to hear from home. 30 years ago people in PC had to stand in a line at a post office for hours if they wanted to reach home, but now we are all sitting on a PC facebook chat room chatting each other from our rooms haha! It won’t be like this the whole time though, just while I’m in the city, which is only a few more days. I should be getting a cell phone though in the next few days and will post the number on my blog when I can.

On Saturday we pack up from Nairobi and leave for Loitokitok for our training and then on Sunday we move in with our host families. They are not allowed to speak English to us even if they know it, so this should be interesting. They will be teaching me everything from language to cooking to washing my clothes and fetching water. I cannot wait!

By the way if you send me a package within my first 3 months, it is duty free! So get on sending haha! Remember, it takes over a monthish to get to me though. The address is on the left. We have a special guy who will bring it down to us from Nairobi to our site in Loitokitok. Don’t send anything of value, but I’m asking for soccer balls at this time, peanut butter, gushers, ketchup and other goodies! yay!

Anyway, miss you all and will blog again when I can!

All my love!

4 comments:

  1. Jambo Andrea! How exciting!? Right now you sound like you are more on a crazy vacation then a PC trip - but I suppose it is kind of both in the end :) I am thinking happy healthy thoughts for you and so glad you arrived safely! Skype me when you are on again! You are missed! <3Catherine

    ReplyDelete
  2. So great to gchat with you briefly... I was on my cell phone so sorry for the slow responses. I can call your new cell as soon as you get it as I just reloaded my Skype $$. I miss you and am so proud of you. BTW, glad to hear you played the pregnant girl in your skit. Hopefully you could channel crazy pregnant me from summer 2009- lol. LOVE YOU!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Glad to hear that you got there safe and sound! Sounds like you are already having a great time!! Love you and miss you! Can't wait to hear some more stories about your adventures and living with your host family!:)
    xxlib
    PS You would be the preggers woman in the skit. hahah. love it

    ReplyDelete
  4. Miss you Andrea!!! Love the blog posts, keep em coming! love, dano

    ReplyDelete