Sunday, August 14, 2011

End of training, Start of maisha (life)

So I tried blog updating a few Sundays ago, but there was no electricity in Loitokitok. Then the next day I went and wrote and entire blog update just to have it deleted! So I felt at that point it wasn’t meant to be and I’d just wait to have free internet here in Nairobi so that’s why it’s taken so long to update. A lot sure has happened though!

I had to say goodbye to my sister Abby, brothers Elle and Taqueen and cousin Naomi sooner than I expected because their father took them on a holiday to go see their grandmother. So these last few weeks it’s just been mama yangu (my mother) and me! It was so sad to say goodbye to them. We had a big celebration and I cooked a traditional American meal of spaghetti and home made tomato sauce. I also made garlic bread which was a huge hit! Then I gave them their presents, mostly toys my Aunt Kathe sent. They loved the animal masks and sunglasses. They were also very impressed by these water flutes she sent. I couldn’t get over how grateful they all were and it really touched my heart. They said I was a blessing from God. My mama told me how she had prayed for a good volunteer and how God blessed her with me and now I am like her own daughter. Well, if you know me then you know that I become an emotional ball of mess pretty easily and quickly. Yup, this was one of those moments. I balled my eyes out that night saying goodbye to the children. It felt like an end of a chapter. They were really the first people who truly cared about me here in Kenya. I walk down the street everyday and children run up to me and straight out ask for money or sweets, they call me “mazungu” (white person), and chant “how are you how are you how are you” in a horrible American accent. But at home…my children saw me as just one of them. They didn’t look at me as different and clearly cared about me, which was especially evident at our going away. They told their own father they didn’t want to go see their grandmother because they wanted to spend time with me. Selfishly I wish they would have stayed too, but all chapters must end and as I kissed them goodbye I knew that good things lay ahead for the both of us.

The few weeks after this were very quite at home. Instead of the hectic noise of 4 kids and a hustle and bustle family, it was just mama and me. Which actually came as quite a blessing considering I needed to study for my LPI (Kiswahili language exam). It was a good chance to start speaking more Kiswahili at home with my mama and get some one on one bonding time with her. She is truly an amazing woman and I can’t emphasize enough how much I admire her. We got the chance to have a lot of cultural exchange moments, me telling her what it is like in America and her explaining Kenyan culture. She told me she really admires me for making my own money. Her idea was that all Americans are rich, but I explained to her my situation with my own mother and how sometimes we even ate our food over a fire in the park when I was younger. I told her how I try to appreciate everything because I really think we are lucky and she agrees, especially when we watch the news and see all the Somali refugees starving here in Kenya. My mama is a Maasi, a culture that fully retains it’s traditions, and she also taught me a lot about what it was like growing up in that tribe. How the women do pretty much everything from building the houses to taking care of the family. She said that when they slaughter animals, depending on your gender and age you will get a different part of the animal to eat. She also told me that I shouldn’t shake hands with everyone because some people are witches and can put a spell on me…Also, I shouldn’t trust all cats because some are humans in disguise…I’m like how the hell will I be able to tell which cat is actually just a cat and which one is a human?! I’ll just have to risk it I suppose ha!

Well I think my alone time with my mama really paid off because I passed my LPI! Which means I will be getting sworn in as an official Peace Corps Volunteer! Yay! After the test, all the volunteers went and had a party in the middle of the forest! We played football and just reflected on our time here. Everyone seems sad to leave their home stays, but excited about moving to site. My mama wanted to be a part of the celebration too so she bought a chicken and we slaughtered it for lunch. I showed my mama the American way to make fried chicken and I also made her guacamole, which she loved. She kept saying “tamu sana!” (very sweet!) and probably had at least 4 helpings of the gauc!

My last two weeks went really fast though. We had a family appreciation party just yesterday with cultural dancing and skits. I wore the dress my mama made for me. She also made me jewelry which is beautiful! I defiantly cried saying goodbye to her. But now I’m off to site. I have a few days here in Nairobi and then I’m off to Matayos! Note: I will have a new mailing address I will post on the blog as soon as I know it. I also have a new wish list! Keep the packages coming! Anyway, in a few days I have my official swearing in ceremony at the Ambassador’s home. After that I will be off on my own to do work as a health volunteer. I’m not going to lie, I’m def nervous about moving away from my family and friends and living all on my own. It’s not going to be easy being the only mazungu, but I’m also looking forward to fully emerging myself into Kenyan culture and using my kiSwahili full time!

I will write next when I’m at site and settled in! Miss you all back home! Thank you for your support and love during training!

No comments:

Post a Comment