Monday, May 14, 2012

Mama Africa

HAPPY MOTHERS DAY TO ALL THE MOTHERS AROUND THE WORLD!

I am blessed to have many mothers in my life:


To my Host Country Mama: She took me in as a foreigner and taught me the ways of Kenyan life. She taught me to bucket bath, wash my clothes, cook Kenyan food and light the fire jiko. She helped me study Kiswahili and taught me her local Maasi traditions. She raised her 4 kids basically on her own and adopted me as her eldest daughter. I wouldn't be functioning in Kenyan society without her guidance.



To my Mama Elizabeth (the mother I live with now): Mama Elizabeth is my rock here. She cares for me and has showed me nothing but love. Every morning she brings me hot chai tea in a thermos and listens to me when I have a hard day. She always gives me charcoal for my jiko and alvacados to keep me full and gives me rides to town whenever she goes. I've been so blessed to be placed with such a strong woman who is so fully accepting of me.


To my Grandma, Anna Lee: It wasn't always easy growing up living with my grandmother, but as I've gotten older I've found that much of the cause of the strife we had was because I'm simply a projection of her. I wouldn't be the spiritually driven, compassionate person I am today without her influence. She cared for me since I was a baby, bathing me and feeding me, and when I got older she always had a say in something or another I did , although I wasn't always receptive haha! We spent every summer sleeping in the backyard in a tent together looking up at the stars, telling stories and dreaming of our day swimming in Meadow pool. I'll always cherish the memories of us painting flower pots and me helping in the garden, snapping string beans on the back porch. I've been so lucky to have such an involved grandmother in my life.



 And Finally to my very special Mother, Suzanne: I value our relationship so much because we know how lucky we are to have each other. Growing up my mom wasn't always around and we saw each other less than ideally. I know it was hard for her to not always be apart of my life, but over these last years we've really made up for it. My mom is my best friend and I'm so blessed to have a mom I can talk to about anything.

I'm very sad I wasn't able to spend Mother's Day with my mom this year, but very blessed to have my Mama Elizabeth and many other African mothers surrounding me. So Happy Mothers Day to all the mothers in the world. You are all heros!



 

No comments:

Post a Comment