Saturday, May 12, 2012

Rusinga Island Girls Camp

About a week ago I attend my friend Elizabeth's Girl Camp on her island of Rusinga which is in the middle of Lake Victoria. It was a huge success. Over 100 girls showed up and we taught them all how to make reusable sanitary pads, clean their water and general hygiene. After a lunch of rice and beans, we had a huge dance party, which of course was my favorite part! The girls were all such good dancers and had a blast!

The next day all of us volunteers rented the boat and went out to another island, like we have before, to bask in the sun and swim a little. It was really relaxing. That night I headed to Kisumu to hang with some friends that will be leaving Kenya soon. I'm so sad because a lot of my friends are in the class above me and will be leaving for America soon. It will be hard to adjust to them not being here.

This last week has been really boring. I had a problem with my computer so someone took it into Nairobi for me, which means I've not been able to watch movies or shows all week. Luckily I had some books I wanted to read and I've read 3 books in one week! I've also made a TON of jewelery. I get my computer back today thank goodness. The best surprise of this week though was a package from Susan Poor! She put together a picture book of all the places that mean something to me in California like Santa Barbara, Mt. Shasta, San Francisco, and of course Orinda. She even put quotes and lyrics all over it, such as Tony Bennett's I left my Heart in San Francisco. She included 3 new skirts that everyone has been complimenting me on all week! It was so thoughtful and really made me miss home. I think I'm actually homesick for the first time since I got here, almost a year in!

My dad comes June 2nd and it's all I can think about. I can't wait for him to see my village and hear me speak the language. I can't wait for him to experience what it is like to be crammed into the public transportation here. I just really miss my family so much right now, seeing my dad will be exactly what I need. He's always been my rock. I look at pictures of my baby niece Annemarie and can't believe how much she is growing up without me, my cousin Logan is getting married and I just feel like I'm really missing out on my family. So I'm so blessed to have my dad come all this way to see me. I'm so thankful for the support my family gives me and my friends, who are simply extended family. I don't think anyone who hasn't done this can understand what I go through on a daily basis. I went on a walk in my village yesterday and literally 3 people asked me for money...it gets old. Yes, I'm white, but I'm not rich! I make less than the average teacher here and if you think teachers get paid bad in America, move to Africa...

Anyway, enough complaining. I'm obviously so lucky to be having this experience and remind myself everyday that God has blessed me with so much. Thank you again to those of you who continue to support me and keep in touch with me through email. I love and miss you all!

2 comments:

  1. I am so glad the package finally arrived and that it made you happy. You are special Andrea, what you are doing is a gift to so many (believe me, it will be passed forward in similar acts of kindness for generations). I enjoyed every minute of putting everything together for you. btw, I made 2 of the skirts -- so take a picture with one on for me!! big big hug and hi to Jay when he gets there. lots of love. Susan,

    ReplyDelete
  2. A package from me and my mom and Annemarie is on the way! She picked some stuff out to put in the package for you :-) Miss you tons!! XOXOXOXO

    ReplyDelete