Wednesday, August 1, 2012

Zanzibar!!!!



Tall palm trees reaching toward the sky and the Indian Ocean lapping over white sandy beaches that stretch for miles…this has been my last two weeks. After wrapping up a successful fundraising event my community put on to raise their 25% towards the maternity ward, Adam and I headed out for a few deserved weeks of vacation. We took the overnight bus to Mombasa where we taxied out to the south coast, a little town called Diani Beach. I can’t begin to describe how good it felt to see the ocean again after almost a year. I’m seriously a California girl true and true because I instantly felt myself happier amongst familiar waters. We stayed at the Swahili Beach resort which was fantastic! All we did was swim in the pool, soak up the rays and eat amazing food. I tried all kinds of seafood, I might add, and was quite pleased with myself. 



About 4 days in Diani was all we needed to get completely relaxed, but being the adventurous people we are, we were itching for some action. So off we were on our flight to Zanzibar. Never had I had a trip quite like this one. Zanzibar is so beautiful and culturally rich, all well being on the beach! The buildings stretched along side one another in rows and clusters for miles, set apart only by small ally ways to walk though. We went during the month of Ramadan so everything felt extra spiritual and majestic. We stayed in Stone Town which has an Arabian nights feel to it, with cobble stone allies lined with local craft merchants desperately trying to make a sale. I couldn’t help myself and bought a locally made wooden box, a treasure chest from Zanzibar, along with various other goodies. 



Walking through the local market you could smell the vanilla in the air and other spices as you drifted by them. Local fish were being chopped up for sale, even octopus with long gooey legs! 








One day we took a boat out to Prison Island, once used as a hospital for European boats coming into Zanzibars port. Out on the island they have a protective habitat for giant tortoises so we spent time feeding them and even holding the babies. After, we got to snorkel among the beautiful coral reef. There wasn’t many fish, but it was still a great time. 




During the evenings we usually picked a spot for a sundown cocktail and watched the majestic sunset over the water while the fishing boats sailed back into shore. Dinner was always amazing, everywhere we chose to go. Some places sported pillows on the ground so you could dine middle eastern style, others sat on the water where you could hear the waves splash in. The food I ate on this trip….well let’s just say I might have gained a few pounds.
Our last day we simply spent lounging on the beach and relaxing. I got a henna design on my hand by a nice Muslim lady. It was nice to be able to speak Kiswahili with everyone. That night we ate local food in the nearby park, all cooked kabab style on a grill. They had everything from full crabs, to lobster, tuna, falafel, and for desert we had banana crapes. Delish! 



Overall, my trip to Zanzibar has to be one of the best I’ve ever had in my life. I’m back at site now and it’s hard to adjust to after having hot showers and good food, but I’m happy to be back with Sangala.






It doesn’t end here though. I’m so busy all through August. I am heading to Pre-Service Training on Tuesday to meet the new volunteers and teach them about the Gender and Development Committee I chair. The next week is Camp GLOW, then I have mid-service medical and finally cross-sector workshops. I’m not happy to be traveling around so much and feel guilty leaving my community, but it’s nice to be busy and it keeps me going. 




Miss you all back home very much! Keep writing!

Love
Andrea

No comments:

Post a Comment