Monday, October 15, 2012

Harambe


What is a harambe? Let me first start by explaining that. I’ve written about it once before in a previous post, but I think I should clarify further. A harambe is like a fundraiser. I went to one the other day in fact. My friend Joakim is going to college so his father (my supervisor) invited friends and family to come to his harambe to raise money for his university tuition. During the harambe chai is served. This is tradition and guests expect it when they come. After chai, the donations are presented. First comes the family and neighbors, all lined up to give what they can to the pot. The MC announces their name and how much they are giving as they hand in their donation. Then they categorize who comes next in line, sometimes the elders, other times women, until everyone who can donate does. If you do not have money to give, you can give food from your farm. Some people bring cabbage or a small banana trees. This time, someone brought tea bags. At the end, people bid on the items. Anyway, that explains the basic concept of a harambe.

I wanted to write about this because sitting back and watching it take place, I could only feel the honor and humbleness the family must feel. All your neighbors, friends, family, villagers, coming together to help out your cause. That’s why I love Kenya. There’s such a sense of community, of helping one another out. I wish we did these kind of things in America, but we are too proud. Kenyans are grateful and honored to have the people they know present them with money. It really is a fun event, full of laughter and happiness in knowing that the money that is needed is being raised by the whole community. I really love this concept and it makes me so pleased to be a part of Singorwet. It seems as if everyone has each others backs. Even though Kenya is one of the poorest countries in the world, in the village, you are never truly poor. No one allows someone to go hungry. People take each other in. Everyone is mama because everyone is raising the children.

I’m almost a year and a half into my service and I feel like I can finally say that I am integrated into my community. Everyday I hear less and less “muzungu” or “chepcumendent” (white lady), and instead hear chants of my name, “Chepkosgei! Chepkosgei!” It makes me feel so happy. Even though this experience can be tiring a lot of the time and make me miss the simple pleasures of home, I am beyond humbled to have become part of Singorwet. These are my neighbors, my friends…my family. God has blessed me immensely!

1 comment:

  1. This might be my favorite of your Kenyan blog posts so far Andi. I am so proud of you! Even though I'm happy for my "Chepkosgei" becoming a part of Singorwet, I can't wait for you to come home!

    ReplyDelete