Wednesday, May 11, 2011

My side of the story: Sexual assult in the PC

As I've said in previous posts, when I tell people that I'm joining the ranks of the Peace Corps, there are a number of responses that I usually get. Most are elated for me and think it's awesome, but some are genuinely concerned. So I would like to attempt to address this the best way I know how without seeming too insensitive.

In the last years, there have been quite a number of Peace Corps volunteers speaking out about the sexual assault that they experienced while serving in the Peace Corps and the agency's response to such unfortunate events. Just yesterday, the New York Times published this: http://www.nytimes.com/2011/05/11/us/11corps.html?_r=1&hp

While incidents like this are a real tragedy, I have to say that in no way does it deter me from following my dream into the Peace Corps. My intension of bringing awareness to this issue on my blog is not to scare my family and friends, but instead to make them aware that these things do happen. And they happen anywhere, not just within third world countries.

Sexual assault and violence is happening on a daily level worldwide! Let's take my home city for example, San Francisco. Many statistics show that San Francisco is far beyond the national average in crime. A 2003 FBI Report of Offenses Known to Law Enforcement shows 215 cases of forcible rape, 2,376 cases of aggravated assault and over 25,388 cases of theft and larceny.

But do these statistics deter me from living in what I consider the coolest city on the west coast? Heck NO! The key is to be as smart as you can be and be educated about your surroundings. I carry pepper spray everywhere I go!

And while it pains me to read these stories of the women who have had to deal with sexual assault within the Peace Corps, it also does not deter me in following through with my service in Kenya. Fear cannot be the guide in your life because that is how they win. Rape is just a tool to instill fear. Instead, I want to be an example of a woman that is strong enough and brave enough to look discrimination in the face and say "hey how bout a hug"! haha! But seriously, I'm going to work in Kenya to hopefully be an example to women there and show them that I'm not limited by my sex.

Now, these women who are speaking out also talk about the Peace Corps response in handling the attacks and violence that they experienced. It's unfortunate that these cases might have been supposedly overlooked, but I choose to believe that the Peace Corps is working on this. I think the best thing that they can do is to support the new legislation requiring, among other things, that the Peace Corps develop “sexual assault response teams” to collect forensic evidence and provide emergency health care and advocacy for victims after attacks. And I have a strong feeling they will for the safety of their female volunteers.

But also, I choose to look at this experience somewhat separate and apart from the Peace Corps. Yes, I will be a representative of PC, yes they will be paying for my living, and yes I will wear their emblem proudly, but in the end, as I've said before, this journey is solely mine and it will be MY own actions, no one else’s, that will determine my success.

I hope that these women receive justice for the atrocious acts that have happened to them and continue to speak out. And I will do my part in showing that future Peace Corps women refuse to be victims and deterred in doing good in their communities.


If you would like to read more about First Response Action and the women speaking out, you can follow their blog at firstresponseaction.blogspot.com

3 comments:

  1. This is an excellent post! I have been thinking about making a similar post for days now, but was just unsure of how to get it done...you did a excellent job!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Great post! You are absolutely right that you shouldn't let fear drive your life. I had an incredible service, but if I went in worry about every bad thing that could possibly happen to me, then I wouldn't have lasted a week.

    Bad things can happen to people anywhere. They for some reason come off to be much worse because it's in Africa. By contrast, I actually felt extremely safe in my community, more so than most place that I've lived because I had such a strong bond with my villagers. They were looking out for me and would do anything to make sure I am safe. You don't get that living in New York or London!

    Have an amazing service, and I look forward to reading your stories!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thanks for your post. My wife and I are PCVs currently serving in China. We found your post via the Nat'l Peace Corps Association's twitter feed. Been thinking about how to respond to friends and family given the media flareup about the whole thing. Thanks for such a clearheaded response. Hope your side of the PC is as fulfilling as ours. All the best from SW China! (www.bekawp.com/easternexposure)

    ReplyDelete