Sunday, May 22, 2011

T minus 2 weeks until departure!

I leave in two weeks. It's surreal for me. It feels like a dream come true, but at the same time it's scary, sad and overwhelming. I think I've been in denial about having to say my goodbyes, see ya laters, hasta luego...in short, it just sucks about having to say farewell to the ones I love most. But at the same time I'm stoked to meet and make some new friends that will share this bonding experience with me.

With that said, I want to write a list of the things I'm concerned/nervous/anxious about so that when I get back in 27 months I can look at them and laugh.

1. Can I handle leaving my friends/family for so long?
2. Will I be able to learn Swahili?
3. Will I get along with and have stuff in common with my fellow volunteers?
4. What will it be like without forms of communication I'm so use to?
5. Can I get over being afraid of the dark? Bugs? haha
6. What will I be missing out on at home? (I'm trying not to live my life like this, but it's somehow always in the back of my head).
7. Will people back home think of me and support me?
8. Will I be able to stay in touch with my friends from back home? Who will I stay in touch with? (Note: I'm usually the kind of person who is great at staying in touch, but I wonder how this experience and the fact that I might not have stable communication outlets affect that).
9. Will I eventually feel like Kenya is my home and stop feeling like an outsider?
10. Will I make it the 27 months?!

I'm excited to find out the answers to these questions throughout my 27 months in Kenya. It is going to be such a life changing experience for me. I'm totally the type of person that likes to have introspective moments and I look forward to getting to know myself all over again.

1 comment:

  1. I have a feeling that you're going to do just fine.

    It's totally normal to feel nervous...I'm getting a little nervous, too. But, you're not really going to be totally alone out there. :-)

    ReplyDelete